Mowlem Primary School is committed to serving its community. It recognises the multi-cultural, multi-faith and ever-changing nature of the United Kingdom.
The Department for Education states that there is a need:
“To create and enforce a clear and rigorous expectation on all schools to promote the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.”
The Department of Education defines British Values as follows:
- Respect for democracy and support or participation in the democratic process.
- Respect for the basis on which the law is made and applies in England.
- Support for equality of opportunity for all.
- Support and respect for liberties of all within the law.
- Respect for and tolerance of different faiths and religious and other beliefs.
Through our school ethos, we aim to ensure that our pupils:
- Are aware of what it means to be a good citizen prepared for life in 21st Century Multi Cultural Britain.
- Understand their responsibilities as citizens of a democratic society.
- Have an awareness of British values and traditions.
- Maintain an awareness and respect for the culturally diverse society in which they live.
The Governing Body of our school also ensures that these values are reflected and implemented effectively in school policy and practice and that there are effective risk assessments in place to safeguard and promote pupils’ welfare.
Through our implicit and explicit curriculum (particularly through our behaviour policy, assemblies, circle time and through our broad and balanced curriculum, the subjects of PSHE, RE, Modern Foreign Languages and Literacy) we teach our pupils about democracy, personal and civic responsibility, rules and laws, the monarchy, equality, values and virtues, environmental awareness and respectful understanding of other faiths and ethnic cultures.
We actively promote values, virtues and ethics that shape our pupils' character and moral perspective. Our staff model to our pupils the values through their own behaviour and teach the values implicitly through every aspect of the curriculum, ensuring equality and excellence for all pupils.
Click here HERE to find out more about how we promote British Values at our school.
Mowlem’s 'British Values Statement' can be read by clicking HERE.
Here are our School Council learning all about local democracy at Tower Hamlets Town Hall: